Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 27, 2010

Sorry for the delay in words. Dave, Beth and I have been out of pocket for a few days.

We started on our adventure on Friday morning. Dave wanted to go to the Air and Space Museum in Huntsville, AL and see a Star Wars exhibit that was there. Off we go! We arrived there safely and then spent the better part of the day at NASA. Dave was like a kid in a candy store as he met and visited with some of the 501st, and r2 builders. Beth and I enjoyed looking around and she and Dave rode a few rides.

Then it was off to the hotel for a good night's rest.

Saturday morning found us scratching our heads and saying, "What now?" The answer? On to Chattanooga! We decided that we were so close, that we should take full advantage of our location and a few days to enjoy it.

Even though Lookout Mountain has little to be desired regarding signs that clearly tell you where you are and where you should be going, we had a great time there.

Our descent off the mountain found us in yet another quandary. Hmm.... what now? At the time, we talked about the fact that Dave and Elizabeth have never seen UT football stadium, so..... off we go!

On the way there, it occurred to me. Aunt Anne and Uncle Paul live in Gatlinburg which is ONLY another 30 miles from Knoxville. I called Anne and she insisted that we come meet them for supper and spend the night at their house. That being said we found ourselves in Sevireville, TN for supper and then up the mountains of the Great Smoky Mountain National Forrest for a night of visiting with family.

Sunday morning came way too early and after a great breakfast prepared by Aunt Anne, we were again on the road. Next stop, Knoxville. Beth wasn't near as impressed with Neyland Stadium as Dave and I were. Even with all of the construction that is still taking effect, there is something magical about being on the UT campus.

Knowing that we had a L-O-N-G drive ahead of us, we ooohed and ahhhed all we could and then I-40 westbound we went.

Seven hours later, we are now back, safe and sound in our home. What started out as an over-night jaunt, turned into a long weekend traveling a huge circle around the south east of the country, but I wouldn't change a bit of it. Elizabeth enjoyed herself and Dave and I enjoyed some stress free relaxation.

Let's hear it for spontaneity!

No comments:

Post a Comment